Chico's Challenge - Ork Week - Day 01


Just a quick note about the post title, today is actually Day 02. But yesterday I was having problems uploading the images...
What does this mean?       Hopefully Day 02's post will go up tonight :)


So, first a little background (I'm gonna keep this as short as I can):
I first discovered the Warhammer hobby around '89 when Rogue Trader was still kicking about, but I didn't start collecting my own miniatures to build an army until just before the release of Warhammer 40,000 2nd edition.

I was so excited by the background and imagery of the Rogue Trader Space Orks they became my first army and first love in 40k. I especially loved the characterful art work of Paul Bonner, it's how I still like to imagine Orks even today.



As with many things, as I grew older, my hobby life waxed and waned and most of my original Ork army was either lost, traded or given away.

Recently I started to rummage through my collection of bits and I made a few purchases here and there on Ebay. Just getting together some Rogue Trader and 2nd edition Ork figures. There was no plan to it, I was just going to paint them "someday".

Well "someday" is here, over the last couple of days I had this happened:

Over at The Lead Pile, Whiskey Priest posted a great little article with several points about why Orks are fun to play. Well my Nostalgia gland was well and truly tickled.

Ant then the very next morn I came across an article from another blog I follow Oldhammer on a Budget.
Where the resident blog writer ChicoDaSatanic wrote that he had not painted any 40k figures for a while, so he declared this week Ork Week and issued an open challenge to his readers to join in.

Well... How could I not :)

So this week I'm joining in Ork Week, I'm stripping and painting some good old classic Orky figures just for the joy of it and to see if this burst of creativity can snowball and keep me going on to other projects when the week is over. They both happen to be doing the Blood-Axe Ork clan, I'll probably be steering heavily toward my favourite clan the Goffs. :)

Ork Week - Day 01:

Today (yesterday) was mostly gathering all the pieces I could find around my hobby collection and getting them stripped ready for the challenge.
Here's what I ended up with after a 5 hour bout scrubbing (well I took cig breaks and ate dinner, but it was quite a slog):


Quite a fair bit done, but some had to go back to strip because the paint was old and tenacious.




I'm definitely looking forward to getting stuck into those Goffik Rokkerz :)


As you can see there's quite a mix of bits and bobs there. And I have the two big Warlords themselves Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka and Nazdreg Ug Urdgrub. (I really need to find some of the Bad Moon Mega-Nobz.



I have quite a selection of Gretchin/Runt assistants to play around with, but I'd like to get more of the autogun/pistol armed figures sometime.


A nice sized mob of Blood-Axe Kommandoz there with a Blood-Axe Warboss nearby.



Oh yeah! A tub full of Snotlings, you'll see in the picture below why I like this.



Various Oddboyz and you can see the spinny-gubbinz from 3 Shokk Attakk Gunz at the top of the picture, i have 3 complete Shokk Attakk Gun Mekboys :)
If I do get around to playing with this army, these should be really fun to run.



So, that's Day 01... Day 02 should be posted tonight :)

Until then, take care.
Jonah

Comments

  1. Heheh very nice Ork collection, 3 Shokk Attack guns eh? Evil man you. Oh I would click the follow gadget but bloggers being a ass and won't let me. But have to fear i will be enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Instagram Slideshow

Popular Posts