Taking a break from my own hobbies to help paint terrain for a local club.

Hi everybody, I'm going to fill you in on why it's been a little quieter around here. Other than the family problems and such I mentioned a couple of posts back I've had something else sort of being discussed in the background.

You may remember a while back I posted about my local stationary shop that was selling Games Workshop products. Unfortunately it wasn't quite working out the way the owner intended and he sold the business.

The good news though is that he has decided to set up a dedicated gaming store and club locally instead! I will be doing a more in depth post upon the store when it opens, so if you're interested, keep your eyes peeled.
 He's asked me to paint up a Realm of Battle board and make a load of terrain. Enough to get the gaming club started with Warhammer fantasy and 40k. So for the near future that's where most of my creative energy will be going. I may be able to slip some of my own projects in between paint drying times etc. I'm also going to use it as an excuse to get some of my own terrain done at last.

And I'll be keeping a log of it here too from time to time.

After discussing the needs for the new store we decided upon a mottled grey look for the boards. It will make it a bit more versatile. We can use it for both an urban/industrial set of terrain for 40k and a mountainous/wasteland set of terrain for fantasy.

So, this'll be my first post about work on the terrain.




The Board:





The Realm of Battle board had an awful lot of greasy release agent on it and I had to scrub them with warm soapy water and dry them off in the sun.




I undercoated the rocky areas flat black and used several different tones of spray paints across the boards




I wanted a more mottled effect, because flat grey would look boring and unrealistic. I used black, grey and brown sprays.




I started drybrushing the boards with a few different tones to keep the more natural, mottled effect and to tie the different sprays together.




This is pretty much what the final colour will be, but with some washes and maybe a touch more drybrushing to bring out the details.




So, busy, busy, busy again. I'll try to update and also to fit some hobby time in for myself.
I'd especially like to take part in these weeks Chico Challenge if possible.

Well that's all from me. Tea break over, I'd better get back to it.

Take care everybody,
Jonah

Comments

  1. Those boards are already looking very good- the brick red in particular is a nice choice for the mottling. The skulls in the cracks of the Realm of Battle boards are particularly nice when simply hit with a bone color and a nice dark brown wash. Looking forward to seeing these boards with some scenery on top- good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Instagram Slideshow

Popular Posts