Trying new things with miniature photography

I've been experimenting with how I take pictures of my miniatures and how i would like to display them on my blog.

There are many skilled and talented bloggers out there that probably do it a hell of a lot better than me. But this method is working for me at the moment, I may tweak and change it at a later date. And I'll hold off from a tutorial until I master the way I do it.

Here are a couple of shots of miniatures I've posted before on the blog, but with the new method:


Adeptus Arbites

Adeptus Arbites Arbitrator Conversion Inq28 Dark heresy 40k

Adeptus Arbites Arbitrator Conversion Inq28 Dark heresy 40k


Khorne Berzerker

Khorne Berzerker Chaos Space Marine Conversion 40k

Khorne Berzerker Chaos Space Marine Conversion 40k


Inspiration and Research

And for the benefit of people who want to do it themselves or just want to read some great blogs, posts and articles. Here's a handful of links to sites, blogs and articles I found inspirational for this purpose, although there's very likely more I should have highlighted and I apologise for my forgetfulness:

Spiky Rat Pack

Tears of Isstvan

Rust and the City

MiniaTEXTures

Legion of Plastic

King's mini's

Opus Maius

Gardens of Hecate

First Point of Ares

Massive Voodoo

This is all completely off of the top of my head, as i said it's likely I've forgotten someone unfortunately.

I just wanted to point these out and say it is not necessarily the method in which any one of them displays their models.
Be that lush photography set-up, useful advice, interesting set pieces, inspiring backdrops, awesome dioramas...
But the dedication, feel and general atmosphere that I was seeking.

I love getting lost in the creation of a characters, miniatures, units and armies. The miniature hobby has been such an amazing portion of my personal and social life and I just wanted to take the time to try and showcase my own miniatures in a more loving and thought out way.

I do not think my photography method is perfect, but I like where it is going now. It is probably always going to be an evolving process.

But thank you to those I've mentioned above for the inspiration (and to those that may have been overlooked too.)


Jonah

Comments

  1. Thanks for the heads up on one some of those blogs , some great stuff in there , and off course i am glad you are enjoying Opus , although its been a bit quiet for a while .. winter does not agree with me really.

    Your photography is looking amazing , and really makes the the models sing! i love the face on the arbite its incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm going to display all finished miniatures that way from now on or until I improve my photography skills a little more.

      And thanks for your comment on the Arbitrator, I tend to always look at a completed miniature with warring thoughts, pride at it's completion and disappointment at things I'd like to improve.

      But that was one I painted after a very long time away from the hobby and I was very happy with the way it turned out. It's kind of compounded now with a bit of a mental/emotional tie now that I've actually roleplayed that character in a dark heresy campaign.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Instagram Slideshow

Popular Posts