Friday, 8 June 2018

Necromunda Underhive Zone Mortalis terrain - pt.1

Shortly after the release of the new Necromunda Underhive, a company called Deathray Designs produced an mdf set of walls/corridors to use on the boards called Deadbolt's Derelict.

I managed to get a set during last years Black Friday sales at a cheaper price, shipping was insane though. But it' is a very nice set and I really wanted that claustrophobic feel to my Necromunda tunnel fighting.

I've been working on the kit a little here and there between other projects and they were finally fully constructed recently and waiting for the paint queue:

These are the corner columns with the holes that anchor all the walls together.

The single wall sections, notice the hooks that lock into the columns above.

The double wall sections, with all sorts of industrial detailing.

I actually broke the very the very last piece I was removing from the frames, it was the only one that didn't separate easily out of the entire set. I'll just hide the damage with a load of rust texture.

I've kept all the refuse from the frames, thought they might come in handy for detailing any scratch built terrain in the future.

I've only had experience working with MDF terrain kits once before. And that just so happened to also be some Necromunda terrain that I made for a local games club.

I remember the MDF being very thirsty on paint and soaking it up like a sponge. I got some advice in the comments back then about sealing the terrain first with a P.V.A/water mix.

But there are an awful lot of fine lines and detail on these kits and I didn't know if the glue mix might fill some of the said detail. So I thought I'd experiment with satin varnish to seal the pieces before priming:

I use this brand of varnish through my airbrush regularly with no problem whatsoever, so I thought I'd give it a try.

First coat of varnish on the pieces upside down to get under the details so I don't miss anywhere.


I'm just letting that first coat dry while I write this, so I can flip them over and give them all a coat from the top.

Once I've made a bit more headway and got the primer down, I'll update and report how the varnish worked as a sealer.

Well... Looks like everything is almost dry now, so going to get back to it.

Until next time, take care.

Sunday, 3 June 2018

Great Unclean One, my completed model, construction and inspiration.

So I completed this miniature quite recently as part of my Maggotkin of Nurgle army that is currently in progress (well and 40k too). And it's been shared in various places already I was just waiting until I'd cleaned up the blog before sharing him here.

I got the miniature when it was released and was just completely blown away by it. Just an absolutely wonderful kit to work with.

It just so happened that as I was starting to work on him that Helge Wilhelm Dahl decided to host a Great Unclean One competition over on his awesome blog, so this gave me much impetus to get the project finished with a deadline.

There were a lot of amazing entries, some of which I followed during their construction in various places across the web, take a gander at the gallery of entrants and while you're at it give Helge a follow if you don't already:  GUO Competition Gallery.

As you can see that was a beautiful bunch of miniatures and art showcased there, the winners were announced shortly afterward: GUO Competition Winners.
I didn't place, but it was a wonderful thing to be a part of and two of my favourites did place and very well deserved. 

But I'll stop the ramble, here is my rendition of the Greater Daemon of Nurgle in all his glory, I'll be going into my inspirations and construction after the images: