Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston - another gift for a friend

Hi everybody, I hope you've all been keeping well. i just wanted to get up a quick post before the end of January to note that I've actually been working on hobby projects. it's just taken me a while to get around to writing things up. Let's kick things off with this Primaris Mephiston I painted for a friend shall we?

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

Looking through my old posts you can see I've quite the history painting Blood Angels Special characters as gifts. All for the same friend too.

The first post was Dante & Tycho back in 2012, the second post was the same characters again plus a few more back in 2018, after my friend sadly lost his entire Blood Angel army to a burglary and I was trying to help him regain his collection.

This isn't even the first time I've painted Mephiston (or Dante & Tycho for that matter) for him (pre-primaris), but that predated the start of my blog. so it's a bit of a thing :D

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

The new Tycho miniature is stunning, whether you like Primaris or not, basing it on the pose of the classic Mark Gibbons artwork was a fantastic idea

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

I spent far too much time pondering this leg. I just couldn't compute why it would need to be fully rendered and detailed when the majority of it is hidden up his skirt... I know "it's CAD design", but it flummoxed me momentarily.

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

I decided to do something I don't normally do, I prepared the model in sub assemblies for painting. There's a lot of fine detail on this miniature and I wanted to be able to get to it quickly.

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

A quick zenithal prime undercoat and we were good to go. Since I was going for neat tabletop quality I wanted the zenithal prime to do some of the heavy lifting with the painting.

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

I was kind of struggling painting in sub assemblies, it doesn't really come naturally to me. Making sure to have different distinctive reds across the armour and skirt was my priority at this stage.

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

later in the process I used oil wash and oil glazing to pull the piece together and enrich some of the colour already laid down. The metals I used on this were all from the Scale75 range. I still haven't given those paints a good run, but from what I've experienced with them so far I really like them.

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

What can I say about this bit really..? It's his head... I was painting his head... All pale and vampyric like... There's probably a law that says you have to somewhere. I don't really see Mephiston as the sort to sport a healthy ruddy skintone :D

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

And there you have it... One tabletop quality Primaris Mephiston I was pretty pleased with how it turned out for how little time I spent on it.

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

Painted over two short evenings, I'd be happy to plonk that down on the table to play. Oh and the plasma pistol and force sword glow were a bit of an experiment, I think they turned out alright.

Blood Angels Primaris Mephiston warhammer 40k

The base was quickly rendered and washed, then texture and crackle paint applied. Once dry a touch of weathering powder to give a dry dusty feel. Black base edge (always) and we were done :)

My friend specifically wanted the plasma pistol variant of the pose building, but I really prefer the one closer to the Mark Gibbons art...

And that's okay, because I'll be building and painting ANOTHER one just for me to put in the cabinet. And you can bet good money that I'll be doing the "proper" pose and want to lavish a bit more time on my own version.

So look forward to seeing yet another Primaris Mephiston pop up on my blog sometime soon!

Hope you all like the figure, I'll be posting some more in the coming days, I think the next one up is an all text/written post on some of my hobby thoughts in recent times... we'll see what get's finished first.

Until then, take care.

Comments

  1. It really is a tasty model - dead tempted to buy one for painting and owning. Maybe if they ever get around to Ragnar Blackmane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this figure right from the reveal. the one I'm planning on doing for myself probably will be more a mini diorama for my display than an actual gaming piece. And yes, inspired by the original Mark Gibbons art for the scenics.

      Good call on Ragnar, one of my favourite Space Wolf characters and looooong overdue an updated miniature. Myself I'm really waiting on them doing the same for the Dark Angels characters. I know we got a couple of Primaris Dark Angels, but I'm waiting more on the big names.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Instagram Slideshow

Popular Posts