My oldest original paint job and conversion!

Hi folks, just a quick post.

I just found something earlier that just exploded my head with memories and nostalgia and really wanted to share.

I was clearing out/organising some old bits boxes and found this guy! I've just been talking about it with my friend on the phone for the last couple of hours and we've realised that this is in fact a two-for.

My oldest surviving paint job AND conversion all in one! Some of my long time followers may remember something like this came up before HERE, but this has it just beat.

This guy will have been created around the end of 1994 to beginning of 1995 by 13 year old me! I really wanted to start a Blood Bowl team and didn't have much money at the time. But I had some plastic monopose chaos warriors already and picked up a £5 box of the plastic Beastmen with halberds to try convert and I guess this was my test piece (only piece actually).


plastic beastman warhammer conversion blood bowl

You can see it was a pretty simple conversion, removing the weapon, repositioning the arm.

plastic beastman warhammer conversion blood bowl

That paint job! Definitely Bronzed Flesh and Flesh Wash. The hair/fur was probably Bestial Brown and the loincloth/belt was probably Bleached Bone. The horns I seem to remember were a mix of Chaos Black, Skull White and Flesh Wash.

plastic beastman warhammer conversion blood bowl

By the gods look at that janky anatomy! When I did this conversion I thought it looked amazing...
I didn't have any sort of putty to sculpt with. But I read in the Citadel Modelling Guide that John Blanche used Blu-Tac covered in superglue to sculpt hair. And that's what we see here, a huge lumpy oversized bicep created from poster tac and superglue :D

It's been a fun night reminiscing with my friend about old times and old hobby nights. I'm really happy to have found this guy, a little piece of my hobby past that has survived. He's going to live on my inspiration shelf and remind me of where I started out.

Forgive my self indulgence, I got really excited after digging this guy out.

I've still got some more hobby posts in the middle of being edited to go up soon. So until then...

Take care everyone ;)

Comments

  1. Love it ! Bronze flesh and flesh wash all the way !
    I dug my first a few years back as well ( battlemasters ogre) and repainted another to fit with it just for teh sake of it, those gems are priceless, I'm gutted I never took any picture of the first metal models I painted and strippped so much stuff I haven't painted again yet !
    I love seeing other people's firsts !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to find something from my early years that has survived so intact. After foolishly stripping a lot of my collection many years back it's really nice to have something I can really look at and see where I started. I'm always warning people now to not strip old miniatures, because like me they'll regret it.

      Delete
  2. Ha, blu-tack and superglue? I was using that for years and years as well, as milliput was unheard of for buying around my way back then. Green stuff? What stuff?

    Classic BB colouring from the mid 90s too - I think my chaos all stars probably looked very similar to this! I think I've still got some of my oldest paintjobs about, tucked away in the space wolf deep freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I could get Milliput in the area back then, my friend had some. But my pocket money didn't stretch so far that i could afford miniatures and extra hobby tools, so, we did what we must :D

      I'm happy you still have old surviving miniatures in your collection.

      Delete
  3. I tried the same thing with the super glue back at the day, and as far as I can remember I was around that age too.

    Dig those time when info was so limited that imagination was the most handy tool in our arsenal. Nowadays it's like over information all around and social media used as a who pees farther contest, where people just show their best or tweak pics to look its best instead of closer to what you got actually painted.

    Really proud of what you shown us today. It's no matter of self indulgence but confidence!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I agree heartily. I like to think of the hobby as something a little more free. Learn new techniques, but don't become beholden to them, try different things and experiment with the skills you've learned.
      And as for mistakes, i never hide from them. That's where we do our best learning. In fact one of my half written posts I've yet to post is about one of my more recent mistakes and what I'm going to do to rectify it ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Instagram Slideshow

Popular Posts